[FFmpeg-devel] on the hard state of ffmpeg command line options

Roger Pack rogerdpack2 at gmail.com
Wed Oct 31 15:49:48 CET 2012

>> That's the reason I initially proposed the
>> (rather kludgey) -i "input -r 24" type input.
>
> Are input files then forbidden to contain a space, a hyphen,
> hyphen and "r" or is some complicated rule that defines
> that a space followed by a hyphen, a space and a valid option
> is not an input file? What about new (later) options? Will
> they change the rule or will we reserve some option
> namespace?
> And what should I do with the file "input -r 24" I just
> created?
>
> Sorry, I am just trying to explain that there is no simple
> solution for the problem you describe (if you believe it
> exists), while there are some very good reasons not to
> touch the interface if it is not absolutely necessary.

True, I suppose I would be suggesting adding a new parameter like
-input_full="input -r 24"

If the input filename has spaces then you'd need embedded quotes, like
you use today like -i video="USB Video Device" for directshow.  Would
look like
-input_full="video=\"USB Video Device\" -r 10 -f dshow" or the like I suppose.
No need to apologize, just debating ideas :)
-r