[FFmpeg-devel] FFv1.3 standardization

Michael Niedermayer michaelni at gmx.at
Sat Oct 27 21:11:02 CEST 2012

On Sat, Oct 27, 2012 at 08:19:45PM +0200, Luca Barbato wrote:
> On 10/27/2012 07:39 PM, Michael Niedermayer wrote:
> > Hi all

> >> If not lyx do you propose another format? Texinfo?
> >>
> >> Also some of the recent commits related to ffv1 also pertain for the specification. Rather than drafting the ffv1 specification within the current github space at https://github.com/FFmpeg/FFV1, would it make more sense to develop ffv1's specification within the libav/ffmpeg projects themselves (such as in http://git.libav.org/?p=libav.git;a=tree;f=doc and http://git.videolan.org/?p=ffmpeg.git;a=tree;f=doc)?
> >
> > The official FFv1 spec is in lyx format at https://github.com/FFmpeg/FFV1
> > its also available as html, txt, pdf and can trivially be converted
> > to pretty much any other format one might want.
> > http://www.ffmpeg.org/~michael/ffv1.html
> > http://www.ffmpeg.org/~michael/ffv1.txt
> > http://www.ffmpeg.org/~michael/ffv1.pdf
>
> I already stated lyx is a poor choice for collaboration since few people
> use it and it isn't any less cumbersome than plain latex.

lyx has a nice GUI editor, what does latex have ?
i googled latex gui and the first hit is lyx :)

but above all, the format the spec is in must be comfortable for the
author of the spec to work in, that applies to lyx with its more or
less wysiwig GUI but not to latex in a old text editor.

about wiki, its the wrong choice, but if you want to proof me wrong
i very much welcome you to create a wiki page in the ffmpeg.org
trac wiki and work there.

Just make sure that a wiki based spec, whereever it resides clearly
states that it is NOT the official spec and points to the official
spec so we dont end up with incompatible implementations due to some
edits on the wiki

Thanks

No great genius has ever existed without some touch of madness. -- Aristotle