[FFmpeg-devel] FFv1.3 standardization

Luca Barbato lu_zero at gentoo.org
Sat Oct 27 18:29:58 CEST 2012

On 10/27/12 6:09 PM, Dave Rice wrote:
> On Oct 19, 2012, at 2:18 PM, Luca Barbato wrote:
>
>> On 10/19/2012 04:36 PM, Dave Rice wrote:
>>> Have you seen the initial work here: https://github.com/FFmpeg/FFV1
>>> Also: http://www.ffmpeg.org/~michael/ffv1.html
>>> Also: http://www.ffmpeg.org/~michael/ffv1-draft/ffv1.html
>>
>> yes and that's why I want it moved in a format less strange (lyx is not
>> common) and documented in a way that is more readable: the current draft
>> is not understandable by people not having experience with code and in
>> that case it still looks strange.
>
> If not lyx do you propose another format? Texinfo?

Any quick markup is good, if you want to use github using its wiki and
their markdown would be ok. Otherwise we have as a neutral field
wiki.multimedia.cx and I started already structuring the document there.

If you want it as an open standard in a way or another would be safe to
send it over ietf (like had been done for opus) and that means editing
an xmlrfc in a way or another.

> Also some of the recent commits related to ffv1 also pertain for the specification.

Feel free to ping me if something changes.

> Rather than drafting the ffv1 specification within the current github space at
> https://github.com/FFmpeg/FFV1, would it make more sense to develop ffv1's specification
> within the libav/ffmpeg projects themselves (such as in http://git.libav.org/?p=libav.git;a=tree;f=doc
> and http://git.videolan.org/?p=ffmpeg.git;a=tree;f=doc)?

The end result must be a stand alone document, with all the people
involved agreeing and possibly kept somewhere as far as possible from an
implementation IMHO.

lu