[FFmpeg-devel] On libavfilter: A Summary of Issues

Roger Pack rogerdpack2 at gmail.com
Fri Oct 26 23:24:26 CEST 2012

>> So is it just to have a high quality internal library, or does it want
>> to become "as useful as AviSynth"?
>
> We never set "as useful as AviSynth" as an objective, let me note that
> avisynth was Windows-only until recently (still it is?). Sure we can
> add features to lavfi as long as they don't clutter the already
> complex framework. I don't see many design flaws in lavfi which make
> impossible to implement some of the avisynth features. It has a
> different syntax, so people used to avisynth "scripting" won't like
> it.

Ok I think I understand the impetus/use case originally for
libavfilter.  I think the initial design was "somebody wants to use
libswscale? well what if they also want to be able to crop at the same
time?" so here we're giving them some more tools that they can use.
Instead of their having to figure it out themselves or use a separate
library, they can stick with FFmpeg and have that functionality as
well.

And I guess the common concensus in this that is that we should
develop/improve libavfilter to "make it better" (in various ways) and
that improvements are welcome, so I look forward to its continued
progression.

Cheers!
-roger-