[FFmpeg-devel] Prores 4444 (alpha) support

Maxim max_pole at gmx.de
Mon Oct 22 19:36:23 CEST 2012

Am 22.10.2012 18:20, schrieb Edward Richards:
> I don't think anyone knows what the alpha compression scheme is.

The compression scheme for ProRes' alpha is basically the same as for
the other three components, i.e. run-length coding + variable-length
codewords. I'm currently preparing a description on how it works, so
someone else could reimplement it...

> Also it is a patent violation in the US and possibly other places so use accordingly.

Fortunately, software patents are void in Europe:-)

Best regards
Maxim Poliakovski