[FFmpeg-devel] evaluating the experimental status of ffv1 version 3

Peter B. pb at das-werkstatt.com
Tue Oct 2 10:57:49 CEST 2012

Quoting Michael Niedermayer <michaelni at gmx.at>:

> On Sat, Sep 29, 2012 at 06:53:54PM +0200, Peter B. wrote:
>> I've now repeated the HD-and-beyond tests with the current git-head and
>> it seems that there actually are some problems with 2160p files (not
>> just "crowd_run").
>>
>> When selecting 30 slices, the file can't be transcoded to FFv1, because
>> ffmpeg is segfaulting.
>
> fixed

HD-and-beyond tests with videos from Derf's collection at xiph.org [1]
are now finished and every generated FFv1.3 file matches its original!
:)

This means that YUV (8bit, 420p, 422p, 444p) has now been tested for
resolutions from qcif (176x144) up to 2160p (3840x2160).

The testsuite execution code is posted on github [5] and was run with
the following parameters for FFv1 encoding:

//-------------------
FFV1_VERSIONS="3"
FFV1_CONTEXTS="0 1"
FFV1_CODERS="0 1"
FFV1_GOP_SIZES="1 300"
FFV1_SLICES="4 6 9 12 16 24 30"
FFV1_SLICECRCS="0 1"
FFV1_THREADS="4"
//-------------------

For each input file, 112 output files were generated and their
framemd5 frame-checksums were matched against the original input
file's framemd5 checksums.

As far as I've seen, the material from Derf's collection is purely
non-interlaced and 8bit-per-component only.
For 16bit tests, I will use videos from the Swedish Television (SVT)
collection [2] and excerpts of Sintel's 1k/4k files [3], but I have to
read them from image sequences. SGI files for SVT and PNG for Sintel.

For YUV422 10bit, I'll use the a converted set of the SVT collection
from the "Video Quality Experts Group" (VQEG) FTP server [4].

Material missing for the YUV tests so far is:
YUV420p10, YUV444p10 (both LE and BE), as well as 420,422 and 444 with
9bits (also both LE and BE).

I could generate this material from 16bit sources, using ffmpeg.

Feedback welcome,
Pb