[FFmpeg-devel] Select the right format

Stefano Sabatini stefasab at gmail.com
Tue Nov 27 01:35:09 CET 2012

On date Tuesday 2012-11-27 01:21:35 +0100, Michael Niedermayer encoded:
> On Sun, Nov 25, 2012 at 04:41:12PM +0000, Mark Himsley wrote:
> > Suppose I wanted to add more 8 bit YUV formats to be accepted by the
> > overlay filter.
> >
> > I don't see how I can do it right now.
> >
> > Because, for YUV, the MAIN and OVERLAY inputs have to match:
> >  yuv420p (or yuva420p [1]) on the MAIN with yuva420p on the OVERLAY
> >
> > I want to add:
> >  yuv422p (or yuva422p) on the MAIN with yuva422p on the OVERLAY
> >  yuv444p (or yuva444p) on the MAIN with yuva444p on the OVERLAY
> >
> > The only way I can see to enable those is to pass a 'format' argument to
> > the overlay filter.
> >
> > Can anyone think of a more elegant method, before I start coding a
> > 'format' argument method?
>
> MAIN == OUTPUT and supports all you want
> OVERLAY supports all you want
>
> if you get a OVERLAY type that cannot directly be used with what MAIN
> is set to then insert / call scale to convert
>
> there are other ways to solve it but above seems the simplest

I'm not sure I like this approach, since it would add an hard
dependency on libswscale. On the other hand this would avoid an
unnecessary conversion when you don't know the format of the main
input.
--
FFmpeg = Fabulous and Faithful Merciful Perfectionist Embarassing Guide