[FFmpeg-devel] New FATE web interface

Stefano Sabatini stefasab at gmail.com
Tue Nov 20 01:23:04 CET 2012

On date Tuesday 2012-11-20 00:32:52 +0100, Burek Pekaric encoded:
[...]
> If you like the idea, please comment on it and also, more
> importantly, please suggest what output formats/layouts do we need
> (html, rss, csv, xml, txt, pdf, ...), because, based on that, we can
> figure out easily what is the common data in all those formats, to
> be able to design the digest files more efficiently.
>
> I'm willing to work on this and I have time and knowledge to do so,
> so I'm not asking anyone else to do this for me, but I'm only
> looking for your suggestions to make all this as good as it can be.

Unrelated, but here it is a list of a few usability issues which I
stumble over frequently when "reading" fate.

About the global tests interface:

* Headers do not provide much info, and some could be improved:
Time => Last completed test time (date+hour in a separate column may also help)
Rev => could link to the git commit page
Comment => should be renamed to "Configuration"?

* The "Time" link jumps to the history log, which is far from being
  intuitive and a bit arbitrary

* The "Warnings" columns layout "+- NUMBER" is a bit cryptic

* Same for "Tests", a tooltip of the kind "Jump to the test log" may
  be helpful

About the single test page:

* The layout of each single test is misdesigned:
diff	stderr	TEST_NAME	1	n / a

"diff" and "stderr" figure like colums entries, but they are just
links, also no hint about what has a link and what not.

* The "Last good revision" is not very useful, I don't care about the
  last time it was good, all I care is about the commit which first
  broke it. Again a link to the git commit may help the developers
  (current workflow: copy/paste the rev ID, grep in the git log, find
  the next revision, copy the revision hash, git log HASH), this
  could be reduced to a single click.
--
FFmpeg = Funny Frightening Moronic Pacific Entertaining Gadget