[FFmpeg-devel] Relicensing filters and general approach to crowd funding

Michael Niedermayer michaelni at gmx.at
Fri Nov 2 22:02:19 CET 2012

Hi

On Fri, Nov 02, 2012 at 01:57:38PM +0100, Robert Krüger wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 2, 2012 at 10:03 AM, Roger Pack <rogerdpack2 at gmail.com> wrote:
> >> First of all, would someone be willing and able to find a price that
> >> would make the copyright holders agree to relicensing? If none of the
> >> developers would like to that, would it be considered appropriate if I
> >> wrote to the (according to the source I think 5) copyright holders to
> >> ask them?
> >
> > Maybe you could ask the developers if they'd be ok if you relicensed
> > it to LGPL? Or maybe you've already tried that?
> No, I haven't because I think the value of the particular filters is
> significant and I simply didn't dare to ask them to give them away
> since I am asking because I want to use the filters in a product and
> therefore I am willing to and think it is fair to pay for relicensing.
> In this case I just think more people (like you obviously) would pay a
> bit for this to happen and this could be a good opportunity for the
> project to gather money.
>
> Since nobody else reacted, I will probably write to the copyright
> holders myself and ask them, what fair conditions would be for a
> relicensing and then either pay or attempt to raise the requested
> money if a price is agreed upon. We will see.
>

> > Anyway I'd be willing to pitch in a few bucks :)
>
> Good to know :-). I'll let you know if anything happens on this front.

There is a company that offers 7k Euro to get yadif relicensed to LGPL
if someone wants to add more to this, thats is surely not unwelcome
but whats mainly missing ATM is
a list of copyright holders of yadif who need to agree
someone contacting them
an agreement on how to split the money up

Iam a bit busy to do this myself atm, also i dont want to be the one
who draws a line between whos agreement is needed and whos not. So
if you want to help here, this would be welcome

thanks

The misfortune of the wise is better than the prosperity of the fool.
-- Epicurus