[FFmpeg-devel] Logo/Banner rules (try #1)

Michael Niedermayer michaelni at gmx.at
Fri May 18 16:57:02 CEST 2012

On Fri, May 18, 2012 at 03:35:20PM +0200, Michael Niedermayer wrote:
> On Fri, May 18, 2012 at 02:32:45PM +0200, Thilo Borgmann wrote:
> > Am 18.05.12 13:35, schrieb Michael Niedermayer:
[...]
> > > 2. banners for our webpage should be less than 100kb png files.
> > >    Exceptions can be discussed on the ffmpeg-devel mailing list.
> > >    higher resolution versions that could be used in print or such are
> > >    very welcome!
> >
> > I don't think a size limit is useful these days. How big can a .png get with
> > limited size at 32 bits for color? This should neither matter in time nor space
> > on anyones computer.
>
> with the spring logo resolution it would be around 300kb at raw RGBA
> our front page currently should have around 100kb that is html+logo
> If you think limiting the logo alone to 100kb is too small then you
> will have to speak with our hosting provider who provides us the
> bandwidth for free.
> Also i think increasing the page load time 3+ fold is not reasonable
> for a logo.
> Our standard logo was around 9kb
> The winter logo was around 11kb
> The spring logo was around 54kb
>
> I think 100kb is a reasonable limit
> especially in light also of slow handheld devices like mobile phones
> and their limited bandwidth

just checked with my phone, loading ffmpeg.org takes 5 seconds
I think it would be bad if that doubled to 10seconds because of a logo

Awnsering whenever a program halts or runs forever is
On a turing machine, in general impossible (turings halting problem).
On any real computer, always possible as a real computer has a finite number
of states N, and will either halt in less than N cycles or never halt.