[FFmpeg-devel] Logo/Banner rules (try #1)

Thilo Borgmann thilo.borgmann at googlemail.com
Fri May 18 14:32:45 CEST 2012

Am 18.05.12 13:35, schrieb Michael Niedermayer:
> Hi everyone
>
> As there are several artists who work on logos/banners for ffmpeg.
> I think we need some rules/framework to handle this. And given the
> absence of a anyone else coming forth to do it. It seems i have to do
> it.
>
> Rules:
> 0. Logos/banners for seasons (summer, autumn, ...), special events,
>    specific days like (valentines day, haloween, christmess, ...)
>    are all welcome.

> 1. Logos/banners must be submitted to our issue tracker
>    https://ffmpeg.org/trac/ffmpeg, type must be set to "art"

I would not insist on submitting to the issue tracker - mailing list should also
do. Also I don't know if a new issue tracker item draws as much attention as a
post to the mailing list does.

> 2. banners for our webpage should be less than 100kb png files.
>    Exceptions can be discussed on the ffmpeg-devel mailing list.
>    higher resolution versions that could be used in print or such are
>    very welcome!

I don't think a size limit is useful these days. How big can a .png get with
limited size at 32 bits for color? This should neither matter in time nor space
on anyones computer.

> 3. The artist has to provide us with sufficient rights to use the art
>    in any form not limited to the webpage,tshirts and print media, to
>    refer to our project or tools at no cost to us. The rights though
>    should be restricted enough not to allow the art from being used to
>    represent other things so as to avoid confusion on what is ffmpeg
>    and what is not.

I have no better idea but maybe someone knows a good fitting and existing license.

> 4. Everyone can comment on logos/baners on the mailing list or issue
>    tracker. The artist should not take such comments too serious though
>    many will be written by programmers who dont have that much sense
>    for art.
> 5. Its possible to vote on logos/banners on the issue tracker
>    The ffmpeg developers will use these votes as input in their
>    decission which logos/banners to use.
>    Because of this per ticket vote possibility, artists may want to
>    submit major revisions of their logo as seprate tickets.

Thanks for writing this down!

-Thilo