[FFmpeg-devel] [RFC] logos

Thilo Borgmann thilo.borgmann at googlemail.com
Sat Mar 24 11:52:30 CET 2012

Am 24.03.12 03:13, schrieb Michael Niedermayer:

>>>   IMHO at least the winter logo should be put down soon. I didn't
>>> yet look at all these spring versions.
>>
>> I kind of dislike the font in these spring versions but that's hardly an
>> objection if anyone wants them in.

>> I assume we have some scripting capabilities on the webserver? PHP eventually
>> that should keep our page in plain HTML?
>> Should be easy to define a date depending logo-loader with such things.
>> I can try to script one with my almost nonexisting talents in that area if
>> nobody else feels challenged by that.
>
> its easy to switch logos with a cronjob, no scripting needed for that
> and might be a tiny bit faster. I mean just a cronjob puting a new
> logo in the same place or updating a symlink not changing any html.
> would pretty much just be a cp logoX.png current_logo.png

Besides you're correct with that's easier for now, two remarks.

A cronjob is independent from the website. If we move the side to another/to an
upgraded server, one might miss to move the cronjob as well.

Also the server admin has to change a cronjob for us instead any dev can change
it via the git repo.

Oh, and if we evolve the logo idea a bit, maybe we end up with a logo that
changes more often than four times a year (like google changes it for special
days). That's when cronjob should get worse.

-Thilo