[FFmpeg-devel] openCL support

Patrick Shirkey pshirkey at boosthardware.com
Sun Mar 11 22:38:38 CET 2012

> Patrick Shirkey <pshirkey <at> boosthardware.com> writes:
>
>> With the recent announcement by AMD that they are actively targeting
>> open
>> source solutions for the HSA (aka Fusion) platform I am wondering if
>> anyone has any details on the current status of opencCL support in
>> ffmpeg?
>
> Patch welcome!

I've done a little more research. It's kind of hard to get started but I
have found a couple of threads that are useful and IRC had been very
helpful too.

http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.video.ffmpeg.devel/62614

http://tesla.rcub.bg.ac.rs/~taucet/coding.html

IIUC there is already gpu decoding support. I'm looking into how that
works. Seems documentation is sparse.

There has also been some effort on porting the x264's lookahead thread on
the gpu to ffmpeg. However I think that is going to stay x264 specific?

>From the thread above it appears that there are a lot of places to
optimise but of course motivation is the key factor.

I would like to ask members of this list if they could help me to compile
a comprehensive non binding roadmap for the priorities for GPU support in
FFMPEG and associated libraries. Obviously it is not going to be a panacea
but there are clearly places where it would be beneficial for people who
had access to  certain hardware and a good reason to utilise it.

Cheers

--
Patrick Shirkey
Boost Hardware Ltd