[FFmpeg-devel] GSOC 2012

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger at gmx.de
Sun Mar 11 09:46:09 CET 2012

On Sun, Mar 11, 2012 at 05:28:11AM +0100, Michael Niedermayer wrote:
> On Sat, Mar 10, 2012 at 09:20:33PM -0700, Michael Bradshaw wrote:
> > I would love to be involved, but I honestly don't feel qualified to be a
> > mentor.  I wouldn't mind working on extending image formats support
> > (currently 2nd tier), though I don't know if I want to do that as an actual
> > student or as a rogue contributor.  If it's something you'd like me to be a
> > part of, we can talk and perhaps I can apply.
>
> You are welcome to work as gsoc student on a task.
> We still need a mentor for it too though (and ffmpeg needs to be
> accepted for gsoc 2012)

I wouldn't mind mentoring animated GIF for example (though for a
full project more is needed).
I also didn't get any opinions on my proposal which I think I could
mentor: Fixing up several (known and unknown) bugs and issues with
the MPEG4 decoder, comparing its behaviour with other encoders/decoders
and possibly adding compatibility mode and documentation for differences
with other decoders (in particular with the official MS reference one
which as far as I can tell is thoroughly broken but due to being shipped
as reference regularly causes people to think FFmpeg is broken).

Reimar