[FFmpeg-devel] [RFC] Google Summer of Code 2012

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger at gmx.de
Fri Mar 2 20:30:34 CET 2012

On Fri, Mar 02, 2012 at 07:43:22PM +0100, Stefano Sabatini wrote:
> FLOSS world, is used as the multimedia engine for a significant part
> of multimedia applications, and provides the backend of possibly the
> most part of Internet-based multimedia transcoding services.

I'm not sure the expression "the most part" exists in English.
"the majority" might work. But depends on what you want to express.

> FFmpeg strives at being the *universal* multimedia tool, so it aims at
> implementing all possible multimedia formats (even the most oscure

"obscure"
Also "aims to implement" seems to me less needlessly complex
than "aims at implementing"

> fringe formats and devices)

"formats and devices", the devices part doesn't make sense,
particularly not together with "implementing".

>, and at being *complete*, meaning that it
> aims at providing full fledged support for all operations involved
> with multimedia, relying on external projects when it makes sense.

I think this should be split up, this is one sentence over
4 lines or so.
Keep in mind there will be foreign students.

> * If your organization has not previously participated in Google Summer
>   of Code, have you applied in the past? If so, for what year(s)?
>
> DON'T APPLY

I think the standard way is to write N/A

> * What is your plan for dealing with disappearing students?
>
> In case of a disappearing student, we'll try to get in communication
> with him/her using all the possible channels at our disposal, in case
> the student won't get reachable in a reasonable amount of time we'll
> declare his/her task failed.

Well, trying to make sure they don't disappear would be good.
Making sure we have multiple ways to contact them would be a good idea.
Making sure that we even notice they have disappeared would be
helpful as well.