[FFmpeg-devel] rtmp_read_seek unreachable?

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger at gmx.de
Sat Jan 28 19:41:36 CET 2012

On Sat, Jan 28, 2012 at 07:25:11PM +0100, Michael Niedermayer wrote:
> On Sat, Jan 28, 2012 at 06:43:07PM +0100, Reimar Döffinger wrote:
> > >
> > > calling the AVIOContext seek should work
> >
> > I missed the assignment somehow (I think that cast there is not
> > really correct, if someone has the motivation to fix it).
> >
> > > but we can put
> > > av_url_read_seek back if anyone sends a patch
> >
> > I guess it doesn't matter unless the whole URLContext stuff
> > is made public again.
>
> Sounds like ohh god i am starving and ohh god i need to put on my
> right shoe to leave the house to cross the street for the supermarket
> but i guess it doesnt matter unless i also put on my left shoe.

No, it's more "complaining on the list is easier than making a proper
patch that gets all the details right".

> putting the URLContext stuff back is a good idea, its the low level API
> and one needs access to it for many things like well writing a custom
> protocol for example. It should be put back

Ok.

> And IMHO it should be done by the people who need it. Its better if
> work is done by thouse needing it, they have interrest in doing it
> right and they have interrest (as well as easy means) in properly
> testing as well as keeping it working.

That is a bit of a problem.
I don't need it since I don't use external FFmpeg.
But distributions will complain when MPlayer no longer works
with external FFmpeg (some also if it just doesn't work with libav).
And they probably won't be doing the work.
I'd be happy for someone else to look into it, but otherwise
I'll try to keep it on my TODO list.
Now that MPlayer builds again in the default configuration
it's all less important.