[FFmpeg-devel] [RFC] lavu PTS printing utils

Alexander Strasser eclipse7 at gmx.net
Fri Jan 27 22:14:35 CET 2012

Hi Stefano,

Stefano Sabatini wrote:
[...]
> Updated patch with sample ffmpeg patch, comments:
>
> * av_ts2str(), av_ts2time2str() are retained for their usefulness,
>   although they should never be used in C++, we assume that C++
>   programmers using FFmpeg code have a clue regarding C/C++
>   incompatibilites, and they can still use the long av_ts_make*
>   functions

  As they are macros and are for convenience only (functionality is still
available for C++ programmers), I am OK with that.

> * double precision is reduced to 6 digits, which looks enough for A/V
>   applications, could not be enough for scientific computing but again
>   given the application domain I don't think this is a much serious
>   issue
>
> * "ts" is favored over "timestamp" for brevity/convenience reasons
>
> * "ts2str" naming is kept in the macro for brevity/convenience reasons

  Fine if you prefer it this way.

[...]
> +static inline char *av_ts_make_string(char *buf, int64_t ts)
[...]
> +static inline char *av_ts_make_time_string(char *buf, int64_t ts, AVRational *tb)

NIT:
  Here and before I would prefer ts as the first argument, it is also consistent
with the naming which is av_ts_*. Like it is saying these functions are acting on
a timestamp (I know they can't and don't need to modify it as they only get a copy).

  IMHO following that convention makes the order more easy to remember. I would be
glad to hear your opinion.

[...]

  Alexander