[FFmpeg-devel] [WIP] DVD reader protocol

Erik Van Grunderbeeck erik at arawix.com
Mon Jan 23 12:20:49 CET 2012

I see the follow -up on patches still takes time, I see I submitted this one
3 years ago :)

There's a number of other changes that need to happen on this patch. I
haven't worked on it for quite some time, but could if there's interest (and
I find the time)

I did a quick read on the list archive on responses. In general:

1) Yes, pts/dts can change and jump anywhere in a vob. It doesn't need to
start from 0 neither, and interleaved angle changes (and alternative scenes)
mean that you have to use the IFO file to read a DVD. Libdvd handles that.

2) The code in ffplay/ffmpeg needs to handle new streams being found (and
possibly decoded). Example: subtitles in DVD often start several
seconds/minutes into the movie, and if not found by the dedect routines will
now never decode. Same with audio.

3) In general, find_stream_info needs to be turned to a 0 buffer. Otherwise
resyncing with libdvd becomes a major headache.

4) Stream resets need to be handled. Vob files often concatenate several
audio formats (aac 2 channel jumping to aac 5 channel  for example), usually
in the preview section of a DVD (the "preview" features on most DVD's). Some
with video (going from ntsc <-> pal and back)

5) a/v sync needs to be more robust. Usually because audio can be delayed
several packets in a vob file.

6) Things need to be signaled back to the dvd : wait and delay modes, menu
selections, etc. libdvd handles this, but the app needs to tell it with to
do.

7) Streams need to be able to be cleared (or deleted/reset) when a new
vob/movie part is encountered.

If someone wants to work on part of this, I can do some (or advise on how)
of it, but I don't have loads of times anymore these days.
E.