[FFmpeg-devel] [patch] glob matching for image series

Brian Olson icic at bolson.org
Sat Jan 7 21:13:57 CET 2012

ffmpeg can take a sequentially numbered series of image files and make them into a video.
I like to datestamp my images "20120106_134500.jpg" or similar.
I used the "glob" library to allow things like:

ffmpeg -i \*.jpg ...

It picks things up in ascii-betical order and is much simpler than writing scripts to link or rename all my images.
I think it's a good idea and people will find this to be natural and useful behavior.

I posted copy of my repo to:
http://bolson.org/~bolson/ffmpeg.git/

My changes are in a branch "bolson-wordexp" (slightly misnamed...)

I can make a patch file if you have a preferred way of dealing with git.

I tried to do this a year ago but used the "wordexp" library, but was blocked because wordexp can run shell commands passed in as an argument, creating a potential security hole if someone managed to make a web page pass arguments all the way in to "-i ...*.jpg" of ffmpeg. I backed off to the lesser "glob" library that just does pattern matching on file names.

My change includes an update to the configure script, a documentation change, and the functional change to the code that reads image sequences.

Brian Olson
http://bolson.org/