[FFmpeg-devel] for ffmpeg org

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger at gmx.de
Tue Feb 7 19:08:28 CET 2012

On Tue, Feb 07, 2012 at 08:53:56PM +0800, 109117198lsm wrote:
>      I like programming. Perhaps you do not likeChinesesoftware developers or companies; if so, I think I know the reason.

We generally do not know or care where people are from.

> for example : windows-Virtual Studio, I know that it is incompatible with, because you did not design it that way.
>      I don't know the reason for it will not work in this way; (joke) I think maybe it is done on purpose because that software is produced by microsoft

No, that is not really the reason.
The reason is that Microsoft no longer supports C, only C++.
FFmpeg however is a C, not C++ project.
Microsoft stuck at C89 and will not add support C99.
And we are not willing to avoid all new C99 features, since
that in some cases would cause a far higher maintenance burden
and less readable code.
I would have liked to see support for VisualStudio via
ICL (the Intel C compiler for VisualStudio), since that to
my knowledge supports at least large parts of C99.
In which case the required changes to support it might be
acceptable for inclusion into our main repository.

>      First I say my purposeis to learn. I have already taken your source code and reworked it in order to use it with the kinds of sofware mentioned above. However, I feel it is necessary to ask for your approval for what I've done with it, and therefore I ask for it now; I hope you will be kind enough to grant it to me, and if not, could you please tell me the reason.

"approval" is kind of ambiguous to me here.
You don't need our approval as long as you follow the license
terms (LGPL) in case you want to distribute any binaries.
If you what you meant was rather the kind of approval where
we would include your changes into official FFmpeg, what
I said above applies. Basically there's not much of a chance
that we would accept more than a few of those changes - not
because we don't want to support VisualStudio but because it
is not worth the effort of maintaining it (at least not to us).
If you want to make the effort, it is probably a good idea to
create your own public git repository with your changes,
e.g. on github.

Reimar Döffinger