[FFmpeg-devel] [RFC] Google Summer of Code 2012

Mashiat Sarker Shakkhar shahriman_ams at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 2 12:15:56 CET 2012

----- Original Message -----

No need for another ML troll-fest. It isn't even relevant for a
prospective student. Think about the rationale behind participating
in GSoC together - because we share a significant amount of common
code between us and any work produced by the student will probably
benefit both the fork. The page should mention that and only that.

> Also:
> "Note that the self-selected mentor needs to have considerable standing in
> the community to be eligible for mentoring. "
>
> should be replaced by:
>
> Note that the self-selected mentor needs to have sufficient technical
> knowledge for the task he wishes to mentor, there is no need for him
> to be a member of the libav/ffmpeg community.

It is important that the potential mentor has some code contribution to
either of the project. The org-admin has to ensure that the potential
mentor will be able to see the project through to the end. Yes, he has
to have sufficient technical knowledge - demonstrated by his contribution
to the code-base.

> And:
> "Likewise, if you choose to define your own Summer of Code project, some
> community members of considerable standing need to vouch for your project."
>
> should be droped.
> There is no such politics in FFmpeg.

It's not politics. There may not be any such incident in FFmpeg / Libav
SoC history, but there are rumors that people become mentor and then they
accept themselves as student. This may sound a little paranoiac, but we
must have safeguard.

> similarly "work ethics" must be droped. Whatever is meant by it it
> sounds creepy
>

> And last but not least, It should go without saying but if you want
> FFmpeg and libav have a joint GSOC, the technical discussions must stay
> on public mailing lists and IRC channels from which no ffmpeg developer
> is baned. (this is not the case in the current design described on the
> wiki page).

Do you propose a seperate FFmpeg / Libav SoC ML and IRC channel? Won't
be of much help, if my experience from past year is worth anything.
Students may prefer a quieter communication medium - private IRC or
email. We can impose a rule like x264 where the student will have to
be ping-able on IRC 24/7 (not everyone will like it) and / or the
student may have to send a mandatory WIP patch to either of the ML
before mid-term evaluation. That way, all developers will be able to
participate in the evaluation process (although the end decision is
made by the mentor and in rare cases the lead-admin for the org.)