[FFmpeg-devel] [RFC] Google Summer of Code 2012

Stefano Sabatini stefasab at gmail.com
Wed Feb 1 23:57:55 CET 2012

On date Wednesday 2012-02-01 18:47:40 +0100, Michael Niedermayer encoded:
> On Wed, Feb 01, 2012 at 11:32:06AM +0100, Benjamin Larsson wrote:
> >
> > >Id like to see the libav vs ffmpeg relation clarified in the document
> > >the names suggest to the average reader a relation that is different
> > >from what it actually is.
> >
> > Either edit it yourself or post how you would like to have it clarified.
[...]
> And last but not least, It should go without saying but if you want
> FFmpeg and libav have a joint GSOC, the technical discussions must stay
> on public mailing lists and IRC channels from which no ffmpeg developer
> is baned. (this is not the case in the current design described on the
> wiki page).

[CC-ing libav-devel as this may be of interest to them.]

I had a chat with Ronald with regards to the the gsoc joint
application, and we concluded that a shared mailing list/channel
doesn't seem very feasible, mostly because of the flames and frictions
that this could very likely generate, which won't be any good to the
students.

So I propose to have two separate applications, some way of indirect
collaboration can still be achieved if there is reciprocal interest
towards it, in case only FFmpeg will be accepted I propose to allocate
a fair share of the slots to Libav developers.

Of course we can still propose a joint application in case we manage
to find an agreement on its conditions, but this doesn't seem very
likely at the moment.