[FFmpeg-devel] FFv1.3: full GOP 1/300, 2-pass statistics for Derf's collection

Peter B. pb at das-werkstatt.com
Wed Dec 5 10:01:13 CET 2012

On 12/05/2012 06:12 AM, Loren Merritt wrote:
> On Wed, 5 Dec 2012, Peter B. wrote:
>
>> It's very interesting to see that 2-pass with GOP=1 reaches almost the
>> same compression ratio as single-pass with GOP=300. In some cases, it's
>> even small than GOP=300 (marked red).
> Of course. Each of your test videos is a single scene. The probability
> tables don't need to change much from one frame to the next, because the
> content doesn't change much.
>
> The same result *might* also hold for a whole movie, but your experiment
> doesn't predict that one way or the other.

Well, I totally agree.
I wanted to use different, longer material from our archive collection,
but Michael suggested to use Derf's collection - and added:

"I really dont understand what is so hard on simply downloading 10 files
from a page and not messing with them before encoding. no other tools,
no capture, no A/D nothing."

So, I understood this as "use these official test videos".

Pb