[FFmpeg-devel] Definition of audio and video frames according to av_read_frame()

Michael Niedermayer michaelni at gmx.at
Mon Aug 27 01:13:08 CEST 2012

On Sat, Aug 25, 2012 at 11:52:22PM -0700, Unga wrote:
> Dear all
>
> FFmpeg documentation says "For video, the packet contains exactly one frame. For audio, it contains an integer number of frames if each frame has a known fixed size (e.g. PCM or ADPCM data). If the audio frames have a variable size (e.g. MPEG audio), then it contains one frame."
>
> 1. Regarding video, does av_read_frame() return anything other than I-frame,
> P-frame or B-frame?

yes

> 2. Regarding audio, what is the definition of audio frame?

The specification that describes the compression /packing should
define what a frame, access unit or equivalent is

> If I say, an audio frame contain one audio sample, is it correct?

This depends on the case in which you say it

Freedom in capitalist society always remains about the same as it was in
ancient Greek republics: Freedom for slave owners. -- Vladimir Lenin