[FFmpeg-devel] obseve PTS overflow when seeking

Michael Niedermayer michaelni at gmx.at
Mon Aug 20 19:49:17 CEST 2012

On Mon, Aug 20, 2012 at 02:04:57PM +0200, Wolfram Gloger wrote:
> Michael Niedermayer <michaelni at gmx.at> writes:
>
> > [1:multipart/signed Hide]
> > [1/1:text/plain Hide]
> > On Sat, Aug 18, 2012 at 11:12:19AM +0200, Rainer Hochecker wrote:
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> I have tracked down a problem where seeking did not work because PTS
> >> overflow in mpegts file. The following would fix it but I am not
> >> sure whether it's entirely correct. Could you have a look at this?
> >
> > yes, it wont work like this :(
> >
> > the first problem is the index (see av_index* and ff_seek_frame_binary)
> > it is required to be ordered and it wont be for such files.
>
> The mpegts demuxer doesn't set AVFMT_GENERIC_INDEX, so how is this
> relevant in the case in question?

mpegts calls av_add_index_entry() directly

> If I'd make the appended patch
> dependant on !(flags & AVFMT_GENERIC_INDEX), or the non-presence of an
> av_index, could it be accepted?

the index would become present during the first seek for mpegts
so this would stop working for subsequent seeks

> > also the timestamps passed may lay before start_time for the reason
> > of seeking to the first keyframe, some code is doing that IIRC
>
> You mean in av_seek_frame() in ffmpeg_opt.c?  That is true, but after
> that seek I would argue that avformat_find_stream_info() has to be
> called again anyway (e.g. in mpegts, _everything_ may change,
> resolution, aspect ratio, number of audio channels...) and that also
> corrects start_time.

Its very possible that it might work out with ffmpeg_opt.c but thats
not the only application that uses libavformat
seeking ~5 seconds before starttime (thats what you will likely get
when pressing the left arrow in some players at the begin) should not
seek to the end of the file

> > For the discontinuity removial case, it would have to be optional
> > because it has some disadvanatges.
> > The simplest way to implement it is probably to add a array of
> > pos,ts_offset pairs to AVFormatContext
> > Now each time a packet is demuxed in streams that allow discontinuities
> > (AVFMT_TS_DISCONT), its timestamp is corrected based on this array and
> > the array is updated when new discontinuities are discovered.
>
> Didn't we already have such code long ago (w/o the array though),
> with such a function:
>
> +static int64_t lsb2full(int64_t lsb, int64_t last_ts, int lsb_bits){
> +    int64_t mask = lsb_bits < 64 ? (1LL<<lsb_bits)-1 : -1LL;
> +    int64_t delta= last_ts - mask/2;
> +    return  ((lsb - delta)&mask) + delta;
> +}
>
> > This way the index can be kept with monotonic timestamps and the
> > user application would not have to deal with discontinuities. The
> > price for this is that in such a discontinuity removial mode timestamps
> > of packets would not be imutable but could change when more
> > discontinuities are discovered. Thats why it has to be optional
>
> If I'd resurrect the use of lsb2full() in compute_pkt_fields() and make
> that optional, could such a patch be accepted?

yes but its a half-solution, it may work with a single timestamp
wrap, it wont help with general discontinuities.

also i suspect the correction would be needed at more places,
especially the seeking code and index would need changes too

The bravest are surely those who have the clearest vision
of what is before them, glory and danger alike, and yet
notwithstanding go out to meet it. -- Thucydides