[FFmpeg-devel] FFV1.3

Michael Niedermayer michaelni at gmx.at
Tue Apr 24 21:22:58 CEST 2012

On Mon, Apr 23, 2012 at 01:04:15PM +0100, Tim Nicholson wrote:
> On 20/04/12 14:50, Michael Niedermayer wrote:
> > Hi
> >
> > Ive just commited some changes to the ffv1 codec v1.3
> >
> > Whats new:
> >
> > mandatory CRC on the global header
> >

> Sounds good.
>
> > optional CRC on slices (The optionality is for discussion, we can make
> > it mandatory if theres consens that this would be better, it would
> > slow the encoder down a bit, bitrate wise it probably is negligible)
> >
> > many fields have been moved from the frame header to the slice header,
> > this is needed so one slice can be decoded when the others are damaged
> > or lost
> >

> This all sounds good from the point of robustness, and if ffv1 is
> considered as a good archiving format (which is what I presume has
> prompted these tweaks) then I would opt for per slice CRC and live with
> the encoder overhead. However an option would give other users the
> choice, so how about the default being on with the option to disable it?

ive added a todo item to add a no_crc flag to our encoder.
but if you want to help, a patch adding AVOptions support and an
no_crc one is welcome!

Rewriting code that is poorly written but fully understood is good.
Rewriting code that one doesnt understand is a sign that one is less smart
then the original author, trying to rewrite it will not make it better.