[FFmpeg-devel] Question for dev's: Does ffplay disable DPMS timeouts? "xset q" looks good, but timeouts never trigger

Ted Pavlic ted at tedpavlic.com
Tue Sep 6 21:34:29 CEST 2011

>> If this behavior is by design, is there any way to disable it?
>> Distributed computing screen savers like electricsheep use
>> utilities like ffplay and mplayer to display AVI's as they are
>> computed. Because they are screen savers, it would be nice if
>> monitors would flip off on schedule.
>
> Its a SDL "feature" it seems you should be able to disable it by
> setting the "SDL_VIDEO_ALLOW_SCREENSAVER" environment variable to
> 1

For ffplay, that works! Things seem to be more complicated in mplayer,
but it's good to see that SDL might be the root of the problem.

What's curious is that "xset q" always shows DPMS enabled and timeouts
set to what they should be. A few searches on-line makes it seem like
SDL would cause the output of xset q to change, but I see no
difference when ffplay runs. Nevertheless, setting that environment
variable seems to fix the problem with ffplay.

Thanks --
Ted

--
Ted Pavlic <ted at tedpavlic.com>