[FFmpeg-devel] Microsoft Smooth Streaming

Marcus Nascimento marcus.cps at gmail.com
Wed Oct 26 01:40:32 CEST 2011

On Tue, Oct 25, 2011 at 4:53 PM, compn <tempn at twmi.rr.com> wrote:

> On Tue, 25 Oct 2011 19:54:47 +0200, Nicolas George wrote:
> >Le quartidi 4 brumaire, an CCXX, Marcus Nascimento a écrit :
> >> First things first, I'd like to know how a streaming should be processed
> in
> >> order to be played by FFMpeg.
> >
> >I believe you would receive more relevant replies faster if you took a few
> >minutes to describe an overview of how the protocol works.
>
> since the xml file is just a 'playlist' , unless i am mistaken, this
> will require playlist support in ffmpeg.

You may need to save the Manifest list of segment sizes for later use.
Not sure if that may be considered a playlist in the ffmpeg way of thinking.
The Manifest XML file holds some very important information for codes too.
Please, check my (very long) explanation in the last email. It may help
understanding the possible playlist requirement.

> and some xml support too.

Sure it does. It may be necessary to use an external MXL parser.
That's probably the easiest part.

> you know, i thought there was a patch before
> check this out:
> http://ffmpeg.arrozcru.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1371

That looks promissing.
Is code-shop source code available in the same license from FFMpeg?
I not sure, but code-shop solution seems to be focused in the server side of
Smooth Streaming, am I wrong?

Thanks very much.

> -compn

Marcus Nascimento