[FFmpeg-devel] [RFC] minor change in "File already exists. Overwrite ? [y/N]" behavior

Clément Bœsch ubitux at gmail.com
Sat Oct 8 22:56:54 CEST 2011

On Sat, Oct 08, 2011 at 07:49:57PM +0200, Michael Niedermayer wrote:
> Hi
>
> Do people prefer the y/N reading code to react immedeatly to a keypress
> when thats supported by the platform or wait for \n?

This confirmation is important because it might prevent trashing an input
file (bad command line) or an old encoding which took hours to get done,
so I don't think it should be taken lightly. And I also think people will
expect the old behaviour because it's the most common; it has the main
benefit to allow them to prepare a 'y' response and allow then to think
again before validating with <enter>. This is the behaviour they are used
to.

So I think this change might not be appreciated, though I personally don't
care much since I'm now aware of this.

Thanks for asking about this,

Clément B.