[FFmpeg-devel] Cooperative coding between (N)LE and FFmpeg; possibly quality improvements?

Michael Niedermayer michaelni at gmx.at
Sun May 8 16:52:38 CEST 2011

On Sun, May 08, 2011 at 07:09:37AM -0400, compn wrote:
> On Sat, 07 May 2011 22:17:03 +0200, Stefan de Konink wrote:
> >My inspiration came from Eurosport recently where there were so many
> >artifacts in the Snooker championship at scene switches (MPEG2 playout).
>
> if you have samples that ffmpeg encodes badly, you should share those
> with us so that ffmpeg can be improved.

a patch that adds x262 encoding support to libavcodec is welcome too

also to return to the original discussion,
A encoder might place the keyframe positions entirely optimally in
the rate vs distortion sense and still that might not be what the
user wishes for. Maybe she wants one at chapter starts to be able
to quickly seek there even if that leads to a tiny quality/bitrate
loss. Not so much an issue for normal mpeg2 that has 2 keyframe a
second  but for the 1 keyframe every 10 seconds cases it can make sense

Those who are best at talking, realize last or never when they are wrong.