[FFmpeg-devel] Confusing git merges

Michael Niedermayer michaelni at gmx.at
Mon Mar 21 10:42:21 CET 2011

On Mon, Mar 21, 2011 at 09:02:02AM +0100, Tomas Härdin wrote:
> Michael Niedermayer skrev 2011-03-19 20:32:
>> Hi
>>
>> I know alot of people have been confused seeing changes and then seeing them
>> reverted, or seeing changes on the ML that arent in the merged version
>>
>> I really hate it as well, but this is how 'git pull' works
>> Unless we modify git or at least the mailing list hook these things will
>> keep showing up.
>>
>> when theres a merge, the hook posts all changes of the merged branch no matter
>> if they are in the actual result or not.
>>
>> i cant really do anything about it, except hacking the ML hook to filter it
>> out
>
> Why not squash the reverts into the merge before pushing?

i agree that this is better, especially in the sense of not poluting
history. Ive done it also at least twice, and will probably keep using it
but it doesnt stop the "unmerged" commits from showing up

The bravest are surely those who have the clearest vision
of what is before them, glory and danger alike, and yet
notwithstanding go out to meet it. -- Thucydides