[FFmpeg-devel] mutlithreading in ffmpeg?

Frank Barchard fbarchard at google.com
Thu Mar 17 21:24:08 CET 2011

On Thu, Mar 17, 2011 at 1:09 PM, Lars Täuber <lars.taeuber at gmx.net> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> am I allowed to ask about multithreading support in ffmpeg?
>
> I was not subscribed to the list for a long time and have not followed the
> discussion.
>
> Will you integrate multithreading in ffmpeg? The way libav is doing it?

On Thu, Mar 17, 2011 at 1:09 PM, Lars Täuber <lars.taeuber at gmx.net> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> am I allowed to ask about multithreading support in ffmpeg?

no, not really.  On this list, you're supposed to phrase your questions by
supplying a patch.
ffmpeg-user is the list for questions.

I was not subscribed to the list for a long time and have not followed the
> discussion.
>
> Will you integrate multithreading in ffmpeg? The way libav is doing it?

There is ffmpeg-mt for frame level multithreaded decoding.
http://gitorious.org/ffmpeg/ffmpeg-mt
It would be nice to see that integrated into mainline ffmpeg.
Its quite effective, scales nicely to whatever number of cores you've got
and not sensitive to what to tool was used to create the content.

> What about multithreaded encoding?

That already works, but it depends on the codec.