[FFmpeg-devel] (trying to be) a voice of reason

Rodney Baker rodney.baker
Tue Mar 15 15:00:08 CET 2011

On Tue, 15 Mar 2011 21:22:06 Olivier Galibert wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 14, 2011 at 12:36:12PM +0100, Stefano Sabatini wrote:
> > Thanks for taking care to post this, I couldn't agree with you more,
> > we should avoid to split the project, the consequences for users and
> > free software multimedia would be catastrophic.
>
> Don't delude yourself, the project is already split.
>
> Both trees are going to live for a while, the "best" will eventually
> win and the other will be forgotten.  And what decides "best" is hard
> to say, but probably includes distro uptake, internet visibility,
> documentation quality, codec support, API niceness and raw
> performance.
>
> May the best team win.
>
>   OG.

...and everyone else loses (users, distro maintainers/packagers, t.p. devels
etc)...

Oh, that's right, open-source developers don't generally write software for
users - they write it for themselves, to suit their own neeeds. The fact that
someone else relies on/uses/interfaces to it is a secondary issue at best.

No clear vision, no shared purpose - each doing his own thing with no real
sense of community. Grow up, people, and start acting like adults instead of
spoilt little children who just want to take their toys and "fork off" so no-
one else can play with them.

Rodney Baker VK5ZTV
rodney.baker at iinet.net.au