[FFmpeg-devel] (trying to be) a voice of reason

Ivan Kalvachev ikalvachev
Tue Mar 15 10:37:33 CET 2011

On 3/15/11, Luca Barbato <lu_zero at gentoo.org> wrote:
> On 03/15/2011 09:48 AM, madshi wrote:
>> What you say sounds more or less reasonable to me.
>> But why then do ugly stuff like fighting over the logo,
>> or shutting down the ffmpeg-devel lists right now?
>> That kind of behaviour just makes you look bad.
>
> avcodec.org is setup and I know for sure they have a mailman setup since
> I came to know about it's existence through an email suggesting
> me to come and sign up to a mailing list. The only safe way to let it
> being imported on the new ffmpeg.org infrastructure is to set it read-only.
>
> The logo is a creation of Mans, the lawyer I contacted stated that at
> least for the eu law, is up to Mans decide what to do with it and I'd
> like to keep using it on libav.
>
>> IMHO you should first have tried to setup a vote
>> everybody could agree with. If that had failed, you
>> should have forked instead of trying the takeover.
>> That would have resulted in much less bad blood.
>
> As you can see in the other recent thread with my explaining of
> condorcet I had been accused or rigging it just by stating that.
>
>> I still think we should try to setup a vote now. But
>> with you guys shutting down the ffmpeg mailing
>> lists it seems you don't care. That's too bad, really.
>
> I'm afraid you misunderstood setting the ml read-only with doing an rm -fR.

Nobody have requested moving ffmpeg maillists out of mplayerhq server.
The new ffmpeg.org domain was not ready for the move and everybody
hoped that there would be a little bit more time to prepare for it.

e.g. The fact that you have leased another house doesn't mean you can
be immediately thrown away from the old one. You have to move your
stuff first.
And this is especially difficult if the old homeowner have locked you away.