[FFmpeg-devel] My view of this f***ed up situation

Tomas Härdin tomas.hardin
Tue Mar 15 09:16:31 CET 2011

Vitor Sessak skrev 2011-03-14 20:56:
> What is IMHO a decent solution to this mess borrow one idea from Luca's
> last email:
>
> 1- The two trees, (git.videolan.org and git.ffmpeg.org) will keep
> existing, but none of them would be the project "official" tree
>
> 2- A third tree, managed by a small group of cool headed people (like
> the "mediators" in Luca's email), will cherry-pick patches from both
> trees. This will be our "official" tree, and nobody will commit to it,
> it will need to pass first through one of the other trees. Every patch
> that gets in both trees have to be cherry-picked per policy. That should
> correspond to the vast majority of the patches, but in some cases they
> will have to step in and end the controversy. People that maintains
> FFmpeg distro packages are also good candidates for this task.

I've actually been toying around with this idea, by attempting to merge
the trees locally from time to time. It wasn't impossible, but some
commits caused conflicts.

I also suspect that the trees have now diverged enough that a merge
requires a major version bump.

/Tomas