[FFmpeg-devel] Regarding the Summer of Code and the FFMPEG/LIBAV bifurcation.

Chris DiBona cdibona
Mon Mar 14 23:46:31 CET 2011

Hi everyone;

I work on open source programs at Google and part of that work is the Summer
of Code. I'm cc'ing our GSoC program lead, Carol, on this.

So it probably won't surprise many people on this list that in the 7 years
of the Summer of Code, we've seen this kind of split/fork of organizations
before. Typically, we remove a project from the SoC to allow for some
cooling off. We're not going to do that this time.

In this case, since the SoC project admin is well known to us and since we
trust Ronald to handle the allocation of students equitably amongst the
various mentors and since we expect the student work to be broadly useful to
both ffmpeg and libav, we're going to allow ffmpeg/libav to participate in
the summer of code again for 2011. We will be changing the name of the
container project to ffmpeg/libav to reflect the change in direction of the
two projects.

I expect that those of you who will end up mentoring students in the project
will do so with the utmost skill, respect and will maintain the high
standards we've come to expect of a multi-year mentoring organization.

if you have any questions, feel free to post them here or email me at
cdibona at google.com.

Chris DiBona

--
Open Source Programs Manager, Google Inc.
Google's Open Source program can be found at http://code.google.com