[FFmpeg-devel] (trying to be) a voice of reason

Luca Barbato lu_zero
Mon Mar 14 23:20:44 CET 2011

On 03/14/2011 07:55 PM, Nicolas George wrote:
> Le quartidi 24 vent?se, an CCXIX, madshi a ?crit :
>> So far I haven't heard any firm commitments for
>> or against a (proper) vote from either side. Would
>> any of the "new leaders" be willing to commit to a
>> (proper) vote and to promise to honor the final
>> outcome of such vote? Michael, how about you?
>
> I am not a leader, not even a important contributor, but I state this:
>
> I completely support the principle of a proper vote with unbiased rules and
> would comply to its results.
>
> By the way, my reason for "siding" with Michael now is precisely that the
> leaders of the other side was obviously unwilling to surrender to the
> majority.

I stated the election rules used by other major projects and I asked for
a third party to set it up, the answer from Michael had been an insult
claiming it was rigged.

I spent lots of time trying to make the whole situation less annoying,
before the change we had people more and more demotivated, most of the
people from the original announce were thinking about forking. The
number was bigger than expected, when michael asked to remove the
automatic checks for the style change the C votes got counted and we
decided to just change the maintainership instead of forking, hoping
that code instead of discussion would do the difference.

In the past two months we tried to tune the commit process and in the
mean time we tried to come up with a document stating the direction in a
clearer way, we asked comments and reviews on the first draft that came
up while discussing at fosdem while Michael mostly insulted Ronald and
others while picking their patch for his tree soon later.

Now we got this dns change so I guess now we can just fork as we should
do 4 months ago instead of wasting time discussing with Michael.

lu

--

Luca Barbato
Gentoo/linux