[FFmpeg-devel] (new) intermediate codec

Lars Täuber lars.taeuber
Thu Mar 10 22:47:03 CET 2011

On Thu, 10 Mar 2011 22:28:40 +0100 Michael Niedermayer <michaelni at gmx.at> wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 10, 2011 at 09:23:35PM +0100, Lars T?uber wrote:

> > > set version=2 in ffv1.c
> > >

> > I just had a short look.
>
> I am just the author

I know.

> > version=2 seems to be disabled on purpose somehow:
> > line 1010:
> >     av_assert0(s->version>=2);
> >

> > And is this really scaling on a modern cpu? This reads like it supports max 4 threads:
> >     if(s->version>1){
> >         s->num_h_slices=2;
> >         s->num_v_slices=2;
> >         write_extra_header(s);
> >     }
>
> You can put larger numbers in there

This would mean the scalability is a compile time option. You had to assure the width and/or hight is dividable by that number.
I'd prefer frame based multithreading.

> version 2 is disabled because its work in progress code, once finished these
> would be accessable through the command line of course

I just thought that. But the progress is slow right now.
Decoding speed is really important for an intermediate codec. Could there be some improvement with ffv1? It is not usable with HD video on my 2,5GHz 2 core machine. I can use HuffYUV with FullHD just fine on this machine. So I thought this could be a good starting point for a codec with the requested features.

FFv1 is really good as codec for archiving videos, because of it's compression ration.

Lars