[FFmpeg-devel] [rfc][soc] ffmpeg behaviour

Stefano Sabatini stefano.sabatini-lala
Wed Mar 9 00:41:53 CET 2011

On date Tuesday 2011-03-08 21:24:12 +0100, Luca Barbato encoded:
> Recently I started to use ffmpeg in some specific ways (as you could see
> from the data-support patch) and I noticed it is completely counter
> intuitive how certain settings are set by default if you start using
> containers with more than a stream per type, more than an output and such.
>
> I'd like to change the current parsing so that
>
> ffmpeg -i input-with-N-video-streams out.something
>
> Doesn't set the size of all the output streams to the size of the last
> stream in the input container and such similar unexpected behaviours.

I suppose the sane behavior would be to keep the same size for all the
output streams (but in this case what should be the behavior of -s or
-vf?).

> In addition our minimalistic approach to the networking is biting us
> while we try to stream live contents for long times (I mean even hours,
> not just days...) apparently causing desync between audio and video
> while using ffmpeg as producer for live streaming...

I wonder if ffmpeg is supposed to be used that way, -re looks
definitively underkill and I can imagine all kinds of things going
wrong for such usage.

> Any other opinions? Probably making ffmpeg more useful might fit a
> summer of code task quite well (lots of small, self contained task and
> few all encompassing refactors)

On the other hand ffmpeg is one of the most complex and delicate
pieces of the whole project, so I'm not sure it would be feasible as a
soc task for an inexperienced FFmpeg programmer (for which IMO the
ideal task is something possibly self-contained and not too close to
the core).
--
FFmpeg = Fancy and Foolish Maxi Practical Encoding/decoding Game