[FFmpeg-devel] [RFC] Specifying KEYINT (-g) has no effect in libx264

Etienne Buira etienne.buira.lists at free.fr
Sun Jun 26 16:05:24 CEST 2011

Hi,

On Sun, Jun 26, 2011 at 05:46:49AM +0200, Michael Niedermayer wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 09, 2011 at 12:06:16AM +0200, Etienne Buira wrote:
> > On Wed, Jun 08, 2011 at 09:44:02PM +0200, Etienne Buira wrote:
> >
> > Sorry, the patch without noise is attached.
>
> the issue with this patch i see is that it requires continuous
> maintaince to keep supporting all options in x264
>
> Iam not sure if we have someone who wants to do this kind of long term
> maintaince. It also would be needed to follow x264 with short delay so
> as not to lack features.

Then a new feature could still be used using x264opts in the meanwhile.

> To the lazy person that i am, my x264opts seems less work.

Then we will have two kind of lazyness fighting :)
My lazyness consist of trying to temper as less as possible existing
command lines (and command line genericity).

And the issue I see with removing usual ffmpeg options treatment is that
it will just ignore such options silently (unless there is a way of
erroring out I'm not aware of).

Did you consider going back to libx264 ffpresets? IIRC the only issue
was to keep them up to date with libx264 defaults, but these should not
change very often, and I think such a check is scriptable. (all
solutions I see are listed in the mail before the one you replied to,
but have received no comments).