[FFmpeg-devel] [RFC] MinGW+FFmpeg survival guide

Peter Wimmer (Lists) peter.wimmer.lists at 3dtv.at
Fri Jun 24 21:21:02 CEST 2011

Hi,

> Since many people asked for it, but nobody sent a patch, I assume it is simply not possible (but please correct me if I am wrong).

It is certainly possible, but probably lots of work. Imho it is worth the efforts, to be able to debug into the ffmpeg code when linked with MSVC code, and to compile everything with a single compiler.

> I think this was request to 'someone' - not job for asker itself ;).

I won't do all the work on my own, but I would actively participate in such a task, even though I'm currently not the one who suffers from lack of MSVC support because I do not use ffmpeg yet.

I got familiar with the ffmpeg sources when I wrote an AVC MVC decoder, but finally decided to enhance CoreAVC instead of ffmpeg. One of the reasons for this decision was that CoreAVC compiles in Visual Studio. I've also added MVC support to the MPC-HC MPEG and MP4 splitters (http://www.3dtv.at/OpenSource), submitted a few patches to speedup OpenJPEG by more than 50% and currently add MVC support to the Haali splitter. So, I'm definitely not the kind of guy who just tells other people what they should develop. ;-)

Peter