[FFmpeg-devel] BUG? interlaced encoding using libx264, nal-hrd

Thomas Worth dev at rarevision.com
Fri Jun 24 14:44:31 CEST 2011

On Fri, Jun 24, 2011 at 5:27 AM, Erik Slagter <erik at slagter.name> wrote:
> On 24-06-11 12:36, Thomas Worth wrote:
>
>> Have you tested this using standalone x264? Perhaps it's a problem
>> with FFmpeg's parameters sent to libx264.
>
> Yes, using the x264 application it works (no warning/error, and
> metadata as expected).

Sorry, I read what you wrote again and I see where you mentioned that.

I made a post a couple days ago about this and I am seeing the same
thing you're seeing, but this was with non-interlaced material. When
passing "nal-hrd" to libx264 via -x264opts I get the same error, "VBV
parameters cannot be changed when NAL HRD is in use". Strange that the
x264 binary doesn't complain about this, but when called via FFmpeg
libx264 does.

I see you moved nal-hrd after vbv-bufsize/vbv-maxrate in your argument
list, so apparently the order of the arguments doesn't matter. That
is, unless FFmpeg is sending the arguments to libx264 in a different
order than what is specified in the -x264opts string.