[FFmpeg-devel] [libav-devel] [QUESTION] Proper handling and reporting of decoding errors

Michael Niedermayer michaelni at gmx.at
Fri Jun 17 01:40:14 CEST 2011

On Thu, Jun 09, 2011 at 08:49:51PM -0400, Ronald S. Bultje wrote:
> Hi Maxim,
>
> I see Michael already answered, so just to add on to that:
>
> On Thu, Jun 9, 2011 at 6:36 PM, Maxim <max_pole at gmx.de> wrote:
> > case 1: my decoder encounters a broken P-frame. That usually means that
> > all following frames until the next key one will be broken as well. The
> > proper reaction would be to wait for the key frame.
> > What kind of signal does the calling library expect in this case? Error
> > code/empty frame?
> > Should I introduce some kind "need_resync" flag in the decoder and skip
> > broken frames internally or is there any possibility to report broken
> > frames to the caller?
>
> There's error_resilience.c, but that's specific to
> MpegEncContext/mpegvideo.c-based codecs, and has quite some
> codec-specific code. You can look at that for inspiration but I feel
> that it needs to be partially rewritten to be more widely useful.

its interface could be made more generic at the price of requiring
more code to interface to mpegvideo codecs.

The real ebay dictionary, page 1
"Used only once"    - "Some unspecified defect prevented a second use"
"In good condition" - "Can be repaird by experienced expert"
"As is" - "You wouldnt want it even if you were payed for it, if you knew ..."