[FFmpeg-devel] Release

Stefano Sabatini stefano.sabatini-lala at poste.it
Thu Jun 16 13:32:29 CEST 2011

On date Thursday 2011-06-16 11:33:33 +0300, Ivan Kalvachev encoded:
> On 6/16/11, Michael Niedermayer <michaelni at gmx.at> wrote:
> > Hi
> >
> > We will make the 0.7 oldabi & 0.8 master releases soon
> > (yes now really) ;)
> >
> > if you know of serious bugs, fix them now, or report them
> >
> > ill update oldabi tomorrow, this will need testing to make sure its
> > compatible with old abi/api so please help with that if you care about
> > oldabi.
> >
> > thx
>
> I have one line fix for bink audio decoding in mplayer. (ffplay itself
> is not affected, probably). I'll send it right away.
>
> I have a proposal for a numbering scheme.
> Let's release:
>
> 0.7 - old abi
> 1.7 - new abi.
>
> The meaning is simple. The major number indicates abi/api
> compatibility. While the minor number indicate feature completeness.
> This way user could easily compare different abi interfaces without
> getting in confusion what is newer and what is older.
>
> Aka in future 0.7.1 may be 0.7 with just security patches, while 0.8
> would be oldabi with new features (if we still support it).

I prefer to keep the current simple naming scheme, going from 0.6 ->
0.7 / 1.7 is just confusing, and we have already the library version
numbers to indicate API/ABI compatibility.
--
FFmpeg = Faithful and Fast Mere Power Empowered Gymnast