[FFmpeg-devel] Question about porting H264 Decoder into pure JAVA?

Michael Niedermayer michaelni at gmx.at
Wed Jul 27 09:54:15 CEST 2011

On Wed, Jul 20, 2011 at 11:25:59PM -0800, Chulayuth Asawaroengchai wrote:

> Hello,
>
>       I have programming as one of my hobbies. And I have ported H264 decoder code of FFmpeg and other necessary dependencies into pure JAVA language.
> ( Because I have not seen pure JAVA H264 decoder library that can decode High Profile anywhere so I decided to port it from FFmpeg ).
> I think my work is done for me, but I do not know what is the right thing to do. Do I need to distribute source code my ported JAVA library back anywhere?
> ( As I saw that FFmpeg is GPL, right? I do not know much about GPL but it seems like if I modified some part of FFmpeg, then I have to distribute source code or something. )
>
>       Please guide me if I have to do such thing.

So you ask programmers a legal question?

Well, i guess in short the awnser will probably be that if you
distribute binaries your code will be subject to the (L)GPL and you
will have to give out sources but iam no lawyer and even if correct
this is oversimplifying things.

please read the license yourself

Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad
people will find a way around the laws. -- Plato