[FFmpeg-devel] r210 and r10k

Thomas Worth dev at rarevision.com
Wed Jul 20 14:22:08 CEST 2011

On Tue, Jul 19, 2011 at 4:52 PM, Michael Niedermayer <michaelni at gmx.at> wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 18, 2011 at 04:29:34AM -0700, Thomas Worth wrote:
>> Hi, the r210 / r10k decoder is using the RGB48 pixel format, but I
>> think this is a waste of data. These formats only ever use 32 bits per
>> R,G,B. Would it not be a better idea to create a new pixel format like
>> "PIX_FMT_RGB44410LE" and unpack/pack only 32 bits? A couple reasons
>> why this might be better:
>
> Instead of saysing yes or no, ill ask a question
>
> do you want to implement and maintain this new pixel format?
> if not, i guess it doesnt matter which way its better as theres noone
> going to implement it ...

I figured as much. I'm happy to look into it.

> if you do want to do it, first support has to be added to swscale

What if I just wanted to implement encoding first for testing
purposes? There are already codec IDs for v210 and r210. Maybe the
first step should be to get the encoders working with RGB48, then look
into optimizing it for packed 32 bit. Maybe Reimar can comment, as he
wrote the r210 decoder.