[FFmpeg-devel] Donations and what happens with them

Rob robert.swain
Sat Jan 29 12:56:22 CET 2011

On 29 January 2011 12:46, Reimar D?ffinger <Reimar.Doeffinger at gmx.de> wrote:
> On Sat, Jan 29, 2011 at 03:42:00AM -0800, Jason Garrett-Glaser wrote:
>> On Sat, Jan 29, 2011 at 3:38 AM, Reimar D?ffinger
>> <Reimar.Doeffinger at gmx.de> wrote:
>> > Hm? Not sure what it is about, but wasn't resampling _decided_ to
>> > not be done in FFmpeg?
>>
>> -ar and -ac sound like ffmpeg options to me.
>
> Resampling as in changing the number of channels. And I should have
> said libavcodec (as in, in the decoders itself) instead of FFmpeg.
> And it was silly for me to comment on something when I don't know
> what it is about anyway.

Resampling is more commonly used for altering the sample rate. IIRC we
can only handle this for <=2 channels right now despite it being
theoretically trivial to handle it for N channels unless I'm missing
something. It just needs someone to do it. 6ch to 2ch or so is
generically called channel mixing or as the number of channels is
being reduced, downmixing.

It should be discussed in another thread what is required but I
definitely agree that the ability to resample >2 channels and the
ability to mix N to M channels using some mixing matrix are
long-standing and embarrassing holes in our functionality.

/me goes to start a new thread about the mixing with the patch Jason mentioned

Regards,
Rob