[FFmpeg-devel] Patchwork instance running for FFmpeg-devel

Michael Niedermayer michaelni
Mon Jan 24 02:37:48 CET 2011

On Sun, Jan 23, 2011 at 04:21:49PM +0100, Janne Grunau wrote:
> On Sat, Jan 22, 2011 at 07:46:45PM +0100, Michael Niedermayer wrote:
> > On Sat, Jan 22, 2011 at 06:01:02PM +0100, Janne Grunau wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > http://patchwork.libav.org runs a patchwork instance
> > > (http://ozlabs.org/~jk/projects/patchwork/) looking on FFmpeg-devel for
> > > patches and comments. It's hooked into the git.ffmpeg.org/ffmpeg.git
> > > repository and changes patch status on commits. This is currently not
> > > working perfectly due to mismatches in commit messages.
> >
> > can you also make it hook into ffmpeg at videolan ?
>
> It's unfortunately not that easy. Since commits to either repo could and
> would trigger state changes on patches, we can't use the same project.
> Patchwork uses the mailing list id for identifying projects so we can't
> even use the same patchwork instance. Modifying patchwork to run a
> second instance on the same host is probably a lot of work, it would be
> much easier if someone else sets patchwork up on another host.
>
> I'm not sure it's worth the trouble to have a second instance. There is
> still too much manual intervention necessary to not worry over the
> duplicated effort. Especially since most patches will end up in both
> repositories anyway.

ill follow your advice for now and live without it

> > anyway, i wanted to say this is great. I would though have slightly preferred
> > that to be discussed on the ML a bit before
>
> I prefer the 'do some work first, announce later' model. I don't see
> much need for discussion. Either we use it or we don't. Making that
> decision is easier after actually trying it.

You misunderstood me a bit i did not mean to imply that doing it that way was
bad

The misfortune of the wise is better than the prosperity of the fool.
-- Epicurus