[FFmpeg-devel] FATE on BSD

Reinhard Tartler siretart
Sun Jan 23 16:16:35 CET 2011

On Sun, Jan 23, 2011 at 15:35:51 (CET), M?ns Rullg?rd wrote:

>> Works ok if configured with --disable-symver.
>
> Sounds like a buggy link editor or dynamic loader.
>
>> Normally, configure enables symbol versioning:
>>
>> #define HAVE_SYMVER 1
>> #define HAVE_SYMVER_GNU_ASM 1
>> #define HAVE_SYMVER_ASM_LABEL 0
>
> Which systems are affected?  We can simply have configure disable it
> for those.  Since the syntax is accepted without errors, it's
> difficult to test for it.

I remember android was reported having problems here, which lead to the
introduction of the --disable-symver switch. Let's disable symbol
versioning on Android and BSDs for now.

Note that this causes upgrade problems for binaries that have been
compiled against earlier copies of ffmpeg, like a past release. AFAIUI,
this means that the only hope for these platforms is a major bump of
avcodec and avformat.

--
Gruesse/greetings,
Reinhard Tartler, KeyID 945348A4