[FFmpeg-devel] Git switch is ready to go!

Martin Storsjö martin
Thu Jan 13 11:08:57 CET 2011

On Thu, 13 Jan 2011, Janne Grunau wrote:

> On Thu, Jan 13, 2011 at 10:11:43AM +0200, Martin Storsj? wrote:
> > On Thu, 13 Jan 2011, Tomas H?rdin wrote:
> >
> > > One question does come to mind: is it possible to "move" an existing git-svn
> > > tree to use the new git repo instead?
> > > Grafts look somewhat related (
> > > https://git.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/GraftPoint ), but someone with
> > > experience might want to chime in on that.
> >
> > I've got a script that I posted a month ago or so that can use git
> > filter-branch to rewrite a simple branch onto the corresponding branching
> > point on another tree. ("Script for migrating branches to the new git"
> > from December 3rd.) It won't work with a nonlinear branch with several
> > merges with master, though.
>

> does it something different than
>
> git rebase --onto new/master old/branch_point branch

Yes - first it determines from which version on the old master it was
branched off, finds the corresponding commit in the new master, and
rebases it onto that one (since historical branches might not apply
cleanly to the latest master). It also accomplishes it using
filter-branch, to preserve the committer names/dates (but if you want to,
you can comment out a few lines to make it use rebase instead of
filter-branch).

// Martin